Australian telecommunications carrier, Telstra has upped its 4G portable Wi-Fi hotspot offering a premium 4G LTE-Advance (Cat 4 up to 150mbps) – a rebadged Netgear AirCard 782S – that supports 10 connected devices.
The Telstra battery-powered mobile hotspot can operate continuously for up to 10 hours and can share a 4G connection with up to ten devices at once making it possible to enjoy the performance benefits of 4G on existing Wi-Fi enabled tablets, laptops and smartphones.
“The Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced features a number of innovations including a colour touch screen for managing settings without having to log into PC browser, a data meter integrated with our billing system making it simpler to monitor data usage, and a battery that can get customers through a full work day plus the commute,” Andrew Volard, Telstra’s Director of Devices.
Mr Vilard stressed out that the Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced is also notable for being one of the world’s first LTE Advanced-compatible products and it will operate in this mode in some locations where we have a lower 4G band in place for coverage or capacity.
“Experience with these initial LTE-A areas on our network will help us refine this technology ahead of its widespread deployment in the coming years,” he added.
Key features and pricing for the Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced:
- Allows customers to connect up to 10 Wi-Fi enabled devices to fast mobile internet.
- A 2.4-inch colour screen displays information such as data usage, Wi-Fi name, signal strength, number of devices connected and battery level at a glance. The touch interface allows owners to read SMS notifications and change setting such as Wi-Fi range and band direct from the device without having to connect to a PC interface.
- 4G Category 4 and 3G Dual Channel technology ensures owners are connected to the fastest speeds available in their area, across the Telstra Mobile Network.
- Features dual-band Wi-Fi capable of providing Wi-Fi coverage on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
- Battery supports up to ten hours’ continuous use or 250 hours/10-days standby.
- The Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced is available from Tuesday 12 October on a range of 24 month consumer and business plans.
- For instance consumer customers can purchase it for $6 per month on a $50 Telstra Mobile Broadband Freedom Plan when they stay connected for 24 months, with 8GB of included data each month to use in Australia (min cost $1,344, data 0.61c/MB).
LTE-Advanced is one of the technologies Telstra is pioneering to help meet the nation’s insatiable demand for 4G connectivity. It brings together spectrum bands to carry more data for customers.
The Telstra Wi-Fi 4G Advanced will be available in Australia next week. It includes a 2.4in colour touch screen. The modem is priced at $6 per month on a $50 Telstra Mobile Broadband plan over 24 months, with 8GB of data included per month.
Photo Credit: Telstra Media Centre