Last year’s issue of Ericsson Mobility Report predicts that mobile data traffic by the end of 2018 will increase 12-fold. The main engine of this growth, in accordance to Ericsson, will be video content. With the increasing penetration of smartphones and tablets, the demand for solutions TV Anywhere has increases, thus broadcasting accessible from anywhere where there is a mobile signal.
Ericsson response to this trend with the solution to LTE Broadcast, which enables it to provide high-quality television services via LTE mobile networks. Its contribution lies mainly in upgrading distribution of video content and higher user experience. Operators in turn will not only prepare for significant growth in data traffic, but also providing the customers with new, innovative services.
Innovative solutions panel of the prestigious TV Connect Award noticed that when the Ericsson LTE Broadcast solution was awarded in the category “Best TV broadcasts on the move”. Ericsson award-winning product combines three standards:
- eMBMS (Evolved Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service) -a 3GPP standard, it enables mobile networks to offer broadcast/multicast services.
- HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding) – the new video compression standard promises to halve the bandwidth required to transport video content compare to today’s leading implementation of MPEG-4 AVC.
- MPEG Dash(Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP) – simplifies and standardizes the adaptive delivery of video to consumer devices, ensuring a better quality of service, greater efficiency and introducing opportunities for monetization.
Its cooperation guarantees high quality of the content being viewed. The result is not only the highest quality, but also the optimal use of spectrum. In practice, this means that the number of users in a given area may comprises a succession of the unlimited. Such solution is ideal especially in densely populated urban areas, stadiums or shopping malls.
For telecom operators, LTE Broadcast opportunity is a service to further develop their businesses. Ericsson appoints a wide range of potential uses solution to be used – for example at sporting events and concerts; enables the provision of digital signage – that broadcast advertising content to different screens (city lights, electronic billboards, for example; taxi or company cars, electronic billboards in public places, stadiums, festivals, POS terminals at points of sale …).
Broadcast content can be very rapidly changed from one place in particular areas so that it can reach a specific audience. Solution finds its application not only in the commercial sector, but also for example in cases of emergencies and threats, it is possible in this way to inform people in a certain area of the impending storm, flood or perhaps a terrorist threat.
Ericsson is the only vendor capable of offering end to end LTE Broadcast:
- Ericsson’s unique combination of the three new standards (eMBMS, HEVC and MPEG DASH) enables operators to efficiently launch media services over LTE. Ericsson’s Consulting and System Integration Services provide the competences in technical, operations and business areas to secure an end to end solution time to market (TTM) for the successful launch of innovative video offerings.
- First mover of new technologies World’s first LTE Broadcast live demo at MWC 2012 and world’s first HEVC encoder launched in August, 2012. World first launch of end to end commercial offering.
- Driving Standardization and Eco System. Ericsson has a unique and extensive collaboration with Qualcomm to ensure that the TV/Media Servicer Layer is fully synchronized with clients for Smartphone’s and tablets.
Using LTE Broadcast, mobile network operators(MNOs) and their media partners can monetize premium content over mobile networks without the fear of network congestion and delivery failure to their customers.
In addition, LTE Broadcast allows MNOs to manage their networks better – especially mobile-video-related traffic – through the very efficient use of spectrum and network investments.